Friday, March 6, 2009

Tenative Top Ten

Now I've been asked what the best songs of all time are, not specifically for this blog, but just in general. How can I answer that when I know I clearly enjoy a hodgepodge mix of Johnathan Coulton, Foo Fighters, Switchfoot, and on while you may be singing the praises of Soulja Boy? So instead I headed to the Internet and looked for the best KNOWN songs of all time, because even if you don't like them, chances are you know them. Now another problem arises. How many top ten lists are there on the Internet? Try thousands. So after reading through more than 40 of these lists I have put together a list of you of the top ten songs. They are ranked here by the number of times they were mentioned in the numerous lists I found, even if they were never ranked first, because clearly if everyone chooses it, it must be pretty well known.
Because many appeared the same amount of times I then took into account their rating number and those with better overall ratings are therefore ranked higher than those with worse ratings that appear the same number of times.

Without further ado, the list of lists using everything from TIME magazine's to VH1's Top Tens:
1. Like A Rolling Stone by the Rolling Stones
2. Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones
3. American Pie by Don Mclean
4. A Day in the Life by The Beatles
5. Yesterday by The Beatles
6. I’m So Lonesome I could Cry by Hank Williams
7. Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
8. You've Lost That Loving Feeling by The Righteous Brothers
9. Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison
10. Imagine by John Lennon

The runners up that shared the same number of appearances as the last two but scored lower (although they tied each other) were:
Good Vibrations by The Beach Boys
Hey Jude by The Beatles

I was severely surprised at the low appearance of the following songs:
Dust in the Wind by Kansas
Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana

Very Punny
When a jazz musician's clothes are all worn out it's ragtime.

1 comment:

  1. Dust in the Wind by Kansas

    +1

    Also Carry On Wayward Son.



    My Dad loves Kansas. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Followers